Montag, 4. Juni 2012

Island of tombs

Kids sreaming "Photo mister!"
© Eike-Christian Heine

Thuận An is 20 minutes north of Huế`s centre. I arrived there early in the morning, parked my scooter, ran over the hot sand and jumped into the ocean.

A group of boys came screaming: "Hello mister! Photo! Photo!"

It was still morning when I took the bike southeastwards along the main road of a 25 kilometer long island. Left and right were temples, churches and an uncountable number of graves. The cross, the swastika and different other religious labels next to one another under the burning sun.

The heat, the white sand, the endless successions of tombs. I ended my trip on the same beach where I started. Jumped into the ocean again and remembered a thing a young man told me in Hanoi. He had asked me what my religion was, pointing at my Buddhist' wristbands. I said "Agnostic". He then told me that he was Buddhist and Catholic. "Both? At the same time?" I wondered. Floating on my back on he Chinese sea I contemplated his answer. "Yes!" he had said.

Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine 
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine
Island of tombs
© Eike-Christian Heine

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen